Notice of Source Protection Plan Consultation
Date of Notice: February 6, 2024
Notice of Source Protection Plan Public Consultation, Ontario Clean Water Act, 2006 Section 34 amendment
Deadline for comments: March 14, 2024 at noon
On behalf of the Ausable Bayfield and Maitland Valley Source Protection Authorities, please be advised of the proposed updates to the Source Protection Plan for the Maitland Valley Source Protection Area.
This notice of is being posted for public consultation and circulated to ministries, affected municipalities, and other implementing bodies as required under the Ontario Clean Water Act, 2006 (CWA).
- Download the Notice (large 2 MB PDF) now.
The regulation requires the Source Protection Authority to consult with bodies responsible for the implementation of the Source Protection Plan.
The proposed updates are prepared as per section 34 of the Clean Water Act, 2006 and the 2021 Technical Rules, with direction from the Ausable Bayfield Maitland Valley Source Protection Region’s Source Protection Committee.
This Notice follows the pre-consultation notice circulated in January, 2024.
The documents posted for pre-consultation remain unchanged.
The proposed updates include new technical work and revised vulnerable area maps to incorporate recent changes to the Century Heights and the Lucknow municipal drinking water systems.
There are no proposed policy changes to the Source Protection Plan.
However, the existing Source Protection Plan policies would now apply to the revised wellhead protection areas (WHPAs) for these two systems.
Following the consultation process, the proposed updates will be submitted to the Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) as an amendment under Section 34 of the Clean Water Act, 2006.
Summary of proposed updates to the Maitland Valley Source Protection Plan and associated Assessment Report:
1. Revision to the Century Heights Wellhead Protection Area (WHPA) to include new municipal well #3 in the community of Saltford, Township of Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh
2. Revision to the Lucknow Wellhead Protection Area (WHPA) to reflect increased Permit to Take Water for the Lucknow drinking water system in the Township of Huron-Kinloss
3. Revisions to chapter 4 of the Maitland Valley Assessment Report to reflect the changes to the Century Heights and Lucknow drinking water systems, including updated risk assessment
4. Updated mapping for managed lands, livestock density and impervious surfaces as a result of the changes to the Century Heights and Lucknow WHPAs
The draft updated documents and revised maps can be accessed on this web page:
Comments regarding the proposed changes to the Source Protection Plan may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the address below.
Please provide any consultation comments in writing by noon of March 14, 2024.
Donna Clarkson, Drinking Water Source Protection Co-Supervisor
Ausable Bayfield Maitland Valley Source Protection Region
c/o Ausable Bayfield Conservation Authority
71108 Morrison Line,
RR 3, Exeter ON N0M 1S5